Missouri, Independence Mission

Missouri, Independence Mission

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Week 6- VC training isn't for sissies

Before I left for my mission, I got a couple comments from people that said my mission would be easy because I didn't have to proselyte...but boy I learned this week that they are very wrong!  There is so much more to being a visitors' center sister than I ever imagined and I am so blessed to have been called to serve in a visitors' center!  

The beginning of the week I sent off my district to places all over the world.  All those fantastic missionaries are now serving in Argentina, California, Tennessee and Salt Lake. I'm so proud of them but miss them a lot!  Then starting they threw us right into our new training.  Monday morning we took trax up to salt lake where some of the sisters took us on a tour and told us a little bit of what it means to be a visitors' center sister and we also talked with a man who works to help manage all the visitors' centers for the church so we learned a lot from them!  

After we returned to the MTC they've been teaching us many of the different things that VC sisters do.  One thing we've been practicing the most is online proselyting.  If you go on LDS.org there is a place where if you have questions or anything you can chat with a representative of the church.  It's the VC sisters that answer those chats and phone calls and answer questions that people may have about the church.  I didn't even know that this was a thing before we got here, but they have told us stories about how a sister serving in Salt Lake helped investigators prepare for baptism from Germany, Chile, Canada and all over the world!!  How incredible is that?  

We have chatted and answered phone calls a couple times now and it's really fun!  Our first experience with a phone called came when a sister in my district answered the phone, asked what they could do to help and the man said, I read the book of Mormon and I want to be baptized, can you send the missionaries over before 2 today?  They were like, umm yeah we can definitely do that!! As you can guess, we all went a little bit nuts haha but it was incredible!!  Another of the phone calls the sisters answered and the man only spoke Spanish and my companion and I are the only ones who speak (speak for her, attempt to speak for me) Spanish!  So they handed off the phones and we were able to help a man in Spanish!  I didn't get all of it, he was speaking mighty fast, but my comp had my back and we were able to help him!  There are people out there who are so prepared and we see a lot of that here which is incredible, I can't wait to do more of it!

So I learned in my mission, I will be serving in the visitors center half of the day, giving tours, bearing testimony and online proselyting.  Then the other half of the day we will be out proselyting just like normal missionaries.  Our days will be busy, but I'm so excited for the chance that I have to have so many different opportunities to reach out to so many of God's children in different ways.  I've been here for only 6 weeks, but I feel like I'm a totally different person.  I have learned so much and can't wait to share what I have learned and the love of God with anyone who will listen.

I hope everyone is good at home and having a fun safe summer!  Thank you again for all your support and love.  Don't forget to keep the Lord in your mind this week, find ways to serve him and everyone around you.  "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." -Mosiah 2:17

All is well, and God is good!
Sister/Hermana Baggett
All of these wonderful sisters will be serving in a Visitors' Center.  This was our first training together.  It was also my first time out of the MTC in 6 weeks!

All of these missionaries are heading off to various places in the world and I am the only one left.

No comments:

Post a Comment